This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These cake mix pumpkin muffins are so tasty, they may just become one of your new favorite pumpkin recipes. With moist pumpkin cake and warm spices, they’re not only delicious, but so easy that you can whip up this freshly baked treat any time a pumpkin craving hits!
If you love having freshly baked treats in your house but don’t love spending time measuring, mixing, and cleaning, this simple recipe will be a game changer. Three ingredients and five minutes of prep time is all it takes to have warm, freshly baked pumpkin muffins.
Simply mix a box of yellow cake mix with a can of pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice, then bake in a muffin tin. You’ll have the perfect pumpkin spice muffins in no time at all.
These muffins are moist and sweet with plenty of pumpkin flavor – perfect for a tasty breakfast, a delicious dessert, or a perfect after school snack. This easy recipe will keep the pumpkin lovers in your house happy all season long.
Why We Love This Recipe
It’s Easy – This is one of the easiest muffin recipes we’ve ever seen. It requires just one bowl and three simple ingredients, and it turns out perfect every time.
It’s Kid-Friendly – With almost no measuring required, this is the perfect recipe for kids. They can help with every step in the process and will feel proud that they pretty much made the whole recipe themselves.
It’s a Fall Favorite – Pumpkin muffins are practically a requirement for fall. Keep these on hand for a quick and delicious breakfast or a snack to enjoy all through pumpkin season.
- Yellow cake mix (without the additional ingredients – just the dry cake mix)
- Pumpkin puree
- Pumpkin pie spice
How to Make Cake Mix Pumpkin Muffins
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line with muffin liners. If using liners, spray those lightly with the non-stick spray.
Step 2: Whisk together the can of pumpkin puree, cake mix, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl.
The dough will be pretty thick.
Step 3: Use a cookie scoop to fill the muffin cups, dividing the muffin batter evenly between the 12 cups.
Step 4: Bake for 22-25 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool.
Tips & Tricks
- Add some chocolate chips to the batter for some chocolate chip pumpkin muffins or throw in some chopped walnuts or pecans. White chocolate chips also make a great add-in. You can even try cream cheese frosting or a streusel topping.
- Be sure to buy pumpkin puree or 100% pure pumpkin rather than pumpkin pie filling. The pie filling has spices and sweetener already added, so it shouldn’t be used in place of the puree.
- Sprinkle a little brown sugar on each muffin top just before baking. This will give them a delicious sweet and crunchy crust.
- You can substitute white cake mix for the yellow, or even a box of spice cake mix. If using the spice cake mix, you may want to reduce the amount of pumpkin pie spice, just so that the flavor isn’t too overpowering.
- For a fun bite size treat, make these into mini muffins instead.
How Do I Store Pumpkin Muffins?
For best results, store muffins in an airtight container with a paper towel placed underneath or wrap tightly in plastic wrap. They should keep at room temperature for about 3 days or in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
Can I Make a Gluten Free Version?
You can! Simply substitute a box of gluten free cake mix for a delicious gluten free option. Most canned pumpkin is gluten free (though you may want to check the can to be sure).
More Pumpkin Desserts
- Pumpkin Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- No Bake Pumpkin Lasagna Dessert
- 3 Ingredient Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Pumpkin Pie Crescent Rolls
Cake Mix Pumpkin Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line with muffin liners. If using liners, spray those lightly with the non-stick spray.
- Whisk together the can of pumpkin puree, cake mix, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl. The batter will be thick.15.25 ounces yellow cake mix, 1 can pumpkin puree, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Use a cookie scoop to fill the muffin cups, dividing the muffin batter evenly between the 12 cups.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool.
- Use a mini muffin tin to turn these into fun bite size treats.
- For some tasty variations, add chocolate chips or top with a cream cheese frosting or streusel topping.