This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Clay Pot Christmas Tree Ornament is a fun holiday craft that’ll look adorable hanging on your Christmas tree. Not only will the kids love making this festive ornament, but it’ll be a fun keepsake that brings back sentimental memories year after year.
When my kids were little, they loved making their own ornaments to decorate the Christmas tree. Even though they’re older now, they still love pulling their cute creations out of storage and giving them a special spot on the tree.
Your kids can make their own too! All you need is some paint and mini pom poms to turn a basic terra cotta pot into a miniature Christmas tree. This simple craft creates a cute homemade ornament that your family will love displaying year after year.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Christmas Craft
Versatile – This DIY Christmas ornament can also be used as a festive Christmas decoration, a place card holder for a holiday dinner, or even a fun gift tag for a holiday present.
Reusable – Add it to your collection to use year after year. It will bring back all the sentimental memories of this year’s crafting fun!
Easy – There are no complicated instructions or fancy supplies needed. Mini clay pots, a little bit of acrylic paint and hot glue are basically all you need for this easy craft.
Budget friendly – You can find many of the supplies you need at your local dollar store.
If you like clay pot Christmas crafts, you’ll also want to check out this DIY terra cotta reindeer ornament.
- Dollar Store Clay Pot – 2.5” in diameter
- Acrylic Craft Paint – Kelly Green and Bright Yellow
- Natural Jute Twine
- Gold Glitter Glue
- Wooden Star
- Mini Pom Poms – Assorted Colors
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Liquid Glue with a fine tip applicator
Besides being a cute addition to your holiday decor, this craft is a great way to keep the kids entertained on a rainy or snowy weekend. It’s also a great activity for a kids’ holiday party, a classroom event, or a family Christmas movie night.
More Crafting Fun
Looking for more fun and easy holiday craft ideas for kids? Try this cute Christmas Mason Jar, these DIY Cupcake Ornaments, or this Clothespin Santa Hat Craft. And if you need some delicious snacks for everyone to enjoy while working on their crafts, you’ll love this easy Holiday Party Mix, this rich and creamy Christmas Dessert Dip, or this delicious Christmas Cookie Fudge.
Clay Pot Christmas Tree Ornament
- Remove the packaging and labels from all materials. Apply a base coat of kelly green acrylic craft paint to the 2.5” clay pot. Let the paint dry and then apply a second coat, if necessary.
- Paint the wooden star with bright yellow acrylic craft paint, covering the front, back, and all sides. Set aside to dry, then apply a second coat, if necessary.
- Attach the mini pom poms to the clay pot tree using liquid glue with a fine tip applicator. Cut a 12” piece of natural jute twine, tie it in a loop with a knot, and attach to the top of the tree with a glue gun. Attach the star to the top of the tree. Set aside to dry.NOTE: If you don't have a fine tip applicator, you can place a small amount of liquid glue on a paper plate and apply it with a toothpick.
- Use the gold glitter glue to draw scalloped lines around the clay pot tree. Repeat down the entire length of the tree. Outline the wooden star with gold glitter glue. Set the ornament aside to dry before hanging on the tree!