This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This DIY Clay Pot Santa Ornament will be the cutest addition to this year’s Christmas tree. Kids will love making this fun and easy holiday craft and it’ll be a fun keepsake for years to come.
If you love easy holiday crafts for kids, you’ll love turning an ordinary mini clay flower pot into this cute and festive ornament. This clay pot Santa ornament is such a fun and easy craft, and the finished project is an adorable homemade ornament that you can enjoy every year!.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Clay Pot Christmas Ornament
- Easy – A little painting and glue is all that’s required. These clay pot Christmas ornaments are super easy to make and hard to mess up!
- Inexpensive – You can find most of the supplies for this project at the Dollar Store, so it’s a great way to have some budget-friendly holiday fun.
- Creative – If you’ve got any old terra cotta pots from gardening, there’s no better way to upcycle them than by turning them into a cute Christmas decoration.
In addition to being a cute tree ornament, it also makes the perfect place card for a holiday dinner or a fun tag for a present. Try making this cute Santa hat craft the next time you need a fun holiday weekend project that the whole family can help with!
- Terra Cotta Clay Pot – 2.5” in diameter – Dollar Store
- Acrylic Craft Paint – Primary Red and White
- Natural Jute Twine – Dollar Store
- Black Ribbon – Dollar Store
- Yellow Craft Foam – Dollar Store
- Pom Pom, One Large White – Dollar Store
- Chenille Stems, Two White – Dollar Store
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
More DIY Christmas Tree Crafts
If your kids loved making this fun clay pot Christmas tree ornament, they’ll want to check out these easy DIY Christmas crafts too…
- Clay Pot Reindeer Ornament
- Cupcake Ornaments
- Clothespin Christmas Tree
- Clothespin Snowman Craft
- Paintbrush Santa Claus Ornament
Clay Pot Santa Ornament
- Remove packaging and labels from all materials. Apply a base coat of white acrylic craft paint to the rim of the 2.5” clay pot. Let the paint dry and then apply a second coat, if needed.Clay Pot – 2.5” in diameter, Acrylic Craft Paint – White
- Paint the top section of the clay pot with red acrylic craft paint. Set aside to dry and then apply a second coat, if needed.Acrylic Craft Paint – Red
- Cut a square from the yellow craft foam, then fold in half and cut a smaller square from the center to create a buckle. Thread the black ribbon through the buckle and use a glue gun to attach it around the clay pot.Yellow Craft Foam, 1/4" Black Ribbon
- Wrap two white chenille stems around the rim of the clay pot, securing then with a glue gun. Cut a 12” piece of natural jute twine, tie it in a loop with a knot, and attach it to the top of the clay pot with a glue gun.White Chenille Stems, Natural Jute Twine
- Attach the large white pom pom to the top of Santa’s hat with a glue gun.Large White Pom Pom
- Now all that's left to do is to proudly display your new ornament on the tree!
- Liquid craft glue will also work for this project, but you’ll need to wait for it to dry.
- You can substitute cotton balls for the chenille stems and the pom pom. You’ll just need to use several cotton balls together to make the pom pom.