This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These fun Margarita Jello Shots use margarita mix and gelatin to create a fun and delicious shot that tastes just like a margarita cocktail. With their cute appearance, great citrus flavor, and tequila kick, they’re sure to put a little extra fun in your next celebration.
Want a refreshing sip of margarita flavor in tiny plastic mini cups? You’ll want to try these margarita Jello shots. Complete with salted rim and a small lime slice, they are a fun take on a classic cocktail. They even look like tiny margaritas, just in Jello shot form!
Rather than using already flavored Jello mix, this easy recipe combines unflavored gelatin and margarita mix to get that authentic margarita taste. Add some tequila and you’ve got the recipe for festive, Mexican-themed fun.
Now grab some tacos, chips, and queso, and let the party begin!
Why We Love This Recipe
Authentic Margarita Taste – There are a lot of different kinds of Jello shots, but these taste more like an actual cocktail than any that we’ve tried. The combination of margarita mix and unflavored gelatin basically creates a margarita flavored Jello. This combines perfectly with the tequila to create a classic margarita cocktail in shot form.
Perfect for Parties – With pre-portioned individual servings in disposable plastic cups, these fun Jello shots are the perfect treat for party guests. The bonus? You won’t have any glasses to clean up afterwards.
It’s Easy – With just three ingredients (plus water) and only one saucepan required, these shots are one of our favorite simple recipes. There’s very little prep time, no need to mess with a cocktail shaker or blender, and no need to buy triple sec or squeeze limes. These are as easy as making Jello!
- 4 envelopes Knox gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups margarita mix
- 1 cup of tequila
- Sea salt for rimming the cups
- Fresh limes for garnish (a key lime wedge is the perfect size for this)
Margarita Jello Shots With Margarita Mix
Step 1: To rim the Jello shot cups, place an even layer of margarita salt on a shallow saucer or small plate. Rim the cup with fresh lime juice, then dip into the salt. Repeat for all the cups.
Step 2: Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove the boiling water from the heat and slowly whisk in 4 envelopes of Knox gelatin. Continue to whisk until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
Step 3: Add tequila to the gelatin mixture.
Step 4: Add margarita mix. Whisk to combine the ingredients.
Step 5: Pour the margarita shots evenly into Jello shot cups. (If you don’t have shot cups, plastic shot glasses or paper cups made for shots will also work.) Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
Step 6: Garnish the shots with fresh lime slices or wedges and keep them chilled until ready to serve!
Tips & Tricks
- If you don’t have margarita salt, you can rim the cups with any course salt such as sea or kosher salt. If you prefer, you can even skip the salt and use sugar instead.
- Try substituting strawberry margarita mix to make strawberry margarita Jello shots. You can also use any other flavor of margarita mix that you can find. You really can’t go wrong!
- These Jello shots will stay solid at room temperature for about 30-45 minutes before they start to melt. If you’re serving these at a party, put out only as many as you think will be consumed in about a half hour. Later, you can refill your supply with fresh ones from the fridge.
- Make sure the gelatin is completely dissolved in the hot water before adding the rest of the ingredients. This is the key to making sure your shots have a nice smooth texture and don’t have any clumps of gelatin.
You’ll need at least a few hours of chill time for the Jello to set before serving, but if you want to make them a few days in advance of a party or special event, go right ahead. They should keep in the fridge for 3-5 days.
What Kind of Tequila Should I Use?
Anything you’d use in a margarita will work in this recipe. We’d recommend a mid-range blanco tequila ($20-$35 for a 750ml bottle). Because of it’s straightforward flavor and spicy finish, blanco tequila works great in margaritas.
Margarita Jello Shots
- 4 envelopes Knox gelatin
- 1 cup tequila
- 1 1/2 cups margarita mix
- Margarita salt for the rims
- Fresh limes for garnish
- To rim the shot cups, place an even layer of margarita salt on a shallow saucer or small plate. Rim the cup with lime juice, then dip into the salt. Repeat for all the cups.Margarita salt for the rims, Fresh limes for garnish
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove the boiling water from the heat and slowly whisk in 4 envelopes of Knox gelatin. Continue to whisk until the gelatin is completely dissolved.4 envelopes Knox gelatin
- Add the tequila to the gelatin mixture.1 cup tequila
- Add margarita mix and whisk to combine the ingredients.1 1/2 cups margarita mix
- Pour the Jello mixture evenly into Jello shot cups. (If you don’t have Jello shot cups, plastic shot glasses will also work.) Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Garnish the shots with fresh lime slices or wedges and keep them chilled until ready to serve!
- These jello shots will stay solid at room temperature for about 30-45 minutes. After that, they'lll begin to melt so if serving for a party, just put out as many as you think will be consumed in about a half hour. You can always refill your supply with fresh shots from the fridge.
- You'll want to be sure the gelatin is completely dissolved in the hot water before you add the remaining ingredients. This can be the difference between shots with a nice smooth texture or ones with clumps of gelatin.