This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you love Red Velvet desserts, these homemade Red Velvet Rice Krispie treats are a must-try! Their gorgeous vibrant red color with contrasting white chocolate drizzle makes them a perfect Valentine’s Day dessert.
Rice Krispie treats have always been a favorite in our house, mostly because they are such a delicious, ooey-gooey and buttery treat. But another reason is because we love playing around with all the fun and creative ways to make them, like these precious Valentine Rice Krispie Hearts or these cute little Rice Krispie Easter Eggs. The possibilities are endless!
Well, this time, and just in time for Valentine’s Day ideas, we are taking everyone’s favorite regular rice krispie treats and giving them a red velvet twist! They are a huge hit; you’ve just got to give them a try.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
Fun for the kids: There is nothing better than when the kids can join in the fun of making treats for their friends and classmates. This recipe is perfect for that because there is no baking or special equipment needed. Just a bowl of ooey gooey rice krispie treat mixture and a few little buttery hands.
Makes great a gift: If you are always looking for homemade treats to give as gifts around Christmas and Valentine’s Day, these Red Velvet treats are a great idea. Place a few treats in a decorative cellophane bag and share with your friends or family. These treats are also great for bake sales and school parties!
Simple yet delicious: This takes a basic rice krispie treat recipe and adds just a couple other ingredients to give a chocolatey red velvet flavor that really tastes amazing. Trust me, after the first bite, everyone will be wanting this recipe.
What’s Needed for Red Velvet Rice Krispies Treats
- Mini Marshmallows: You can use the same amount of the large marshmallows but cut them into smaller pieces.
- Butter: You can use unsalted butter or salted.
- Crispy Rice Cereal: We use Rice Krispie Cereal brand.
- Dry Red Velvet Cake Mix: The addition of some red velvet cake mix really sets these treats apart with a rich red velvet flavor without having to add additional cocoa powder.
- Vanilla: When possible, use real vanilla extract, not imitation.
- White Chocolate Chips: You can also use white candy melts or almond bark.
- Red Food Coloring: Gives these treats their beautiful color. We use gel, taste free coloring.
How to Make Easy Valentine Day Rice Krispie Treats
Step 1: Prepare a 13×9 pan by lining it with aluminum foil. Butter the top of the foil or spritz with butter flavored cooking spray.
Step 2: In a large pot over medium heat melt butter and marshmallows stirring frequently until completely melted and smooth.
Step 3: Remove from heat and add cake mix and vanilla. Stir until well mixed.
Step 4: Add ½-1 teaspoon of red gel food coloring. Stir the mixture until well incorporated. If you want a darker red color, just add more to achieve desired color.
Step 5: Add in rice krispies and stir to coat. The mixture will be very thick.
Step 6: Place mixture in prepared pan and evenly press into place. Allow to cool completely.
Step 7: Remove the treats from the pan and place them on a flat surface. With a sharp knife, cut them into 16 even rectangles.
Step 8: Place white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.
Step 9: Microwave them in 30 second increments stirring in between until melted and smooth.
Step 10: Place the melted chocolate in a piping bag or a zip top baggie. Cut off the end or corner and pipe chocolate across each treat. Allow chocolate to cool.
What’s Best Way to Store these Treats?
You’ll want to store them in an airtight container to keep them fresh. But because they are sticky, place them in a single layer, then place a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper between the layers. This will prevent them from sticking together
Can I Freeze Red Velvet Rice Krispie Treats?
You sure can! Wrap them individually in plastic wrap. The key to this step is making sure that they are fully covered, so that nothing is exposed. You might want to double wrap them for good measure.
One the treats are wrapped, just stick them in a freezer bag, label the bag with the date you froze them and store then in the freezer for up 3-4 months.
What Can I do with the Leftover Cake Mix?
This recipe calls for one cup of dry cake mix. Other than making a couple of batches of these treats, you may be looking for another way to put the leftover cake mix to use. Homemade mug cake to the rescue!
There are several mug cake recipes out there but a good basic recipe for a mug cake uses a 3-2-1 method. 3 tablespoons of cake mix, two tablespoons of water, one minute in the microwave. Be sure to use a microwave safe coffee mug and spray the inside of it with a little cooking spray. Enjoy them just as they are or topped with your favorite frosting.
Variations of Red Velvet Krispie Treats
- You can cut these crispy treats into heart shapes with a cookie cutter for a really fun and extra special touch.
- Mix up the color of the chocolate with pink and white candy melts. You can make these at Christmas time and use green candy melts for a really festive look.
- These rice krispies are finished with a drizzle of white chocolate; however, if you want to add even more chocolate, you could dip one end of the treats in melted white chocolate and then add sprinkles to them.
- When Valentine’s Day is over, you may be looking for a whole new spin on these easy treats. You can turn them into to a chocolatey version by using cocoa krispies or cocoa pebbles in place of the plain rice cereal. Or you could make cute birthday crispy treats by using fruity pebble treats with white cake mix. You can also make these cake mix rice krispie treats with Funfetti cake mix for a super fun twist.
- Since you are using cake mix, why not make a rice krispie cake! Just press these into a couple round cake pans lined with foil. Turn them out on a wire rack and drizzle with the chocolate. You can even slice them into cake wedge shaped pieces.
Red Velvet Rice Krispie Treats
- Prepare a 13×9 pan by lining it with aluminum foil. Butter the top of the foil or spritz with butter flavored cooking spray.
- In a large pot over medium heat melt butter and marshmallows stirring frequently until completely melted and smooth.10 ounces mini marshmallows, 1/2 cup butter
- Remove from heat and add cake mix and vanilla. Stir until well mixed.1 cup red velvet cake mix, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add ½-1 teaspoon of red gel food coloring. Stir the mixture until well incorporated. If you want a darker red color, just add more to achieve desired color.Taste free red gel food coloring
- Add in rice krispies and stir to coat. The mixture will be very thick.6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Place mixture in prepared pan and evenly press into place. Allow to cool completely.
- Remove the treats from the pan and place them on a flat surface. With a sharp knife, cut them into 16 even rectangles.
- Place white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- Microwave them in 30 second increments stirring in between until melted and smooth.
- Place the melted chocolate in a piping bag or a zip top baggie. Cut off the end or corner and pipe chocolate across each treat. Allow chocolate to cool and enjoy!