This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Dark Chocolate Hearts make the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert! With just a simple mold, chocolate and valentine themed sprinkles, it’s the perfect sweet treat to share with someone you love!
This post was originally published in 2018 but has been recently updated.
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about all those fun Valentine’s Day desserts! From Valentine’s Day bark to M&M cakes filled with sweet surprises, there are so many fun ideas to choose from. However, you can never go wrong with chocolate hearts and these homemade treats are just as easy to make as they are delicious!
Table of Contents
Why We Love These
Easy – It doesn’t get much easier than these cute treats. If you can use a microwave, you can make this chocolate heart candy!
Great For Kids – This treat is a great way to get the kids involved too. They’ll have a lot of fun getting creative with their own candy hearts.
Perfect Gift Idea – The great thing about these is that they make awesome gifts too! Put them in a pretty box and share with teachers, neighbors or anyone who deserves a treat.
You just need three simple ingredients to make these treats.
- Chocolate – I used dark chocolate but you can use milk chocolate, white chocolate or even semi-sweet chocolate if you prefer.
- Candy Melts – You’ll need white, pink and red but if you don’t have candy melts, you can always melt white chocolate and color it with food coloring.
- Valentine Themed Sprinkles – This gives your chocolate hearts the perfect finishing touch.
Now that you’ve got your supplies, you’re ready to get started!
How To Make Chocolate Hearts
Step 1: Place dark chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Continue to melt in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted and smooth.
Step 2: Place silicone cups on a cutting board or baking sheet and spoon the melted chocolate into them.
Step 3: Gently tap the cookie sheet or cutting board on a flat surface until the chocolate spreads out evenly in the cups (you can also tap each individual cup instead…it just takes a little longer).
Decorating The Hearts
Step 1: Melt red candy melts in the microwave in 15-second increments, stirring in between, until completely melted. Pour into a piping bag or plastic sandwich bag and snip corner of the baggie. Don’t make the hole too big though because you don’t want too much to come out at once. Repeat steps for the other colors.
NOTE: You can find candy melts at Walmart, Michael’s and other stores that sell cake decorating supplies. However, you can also melt white chocolate and color it with food coloring (I just find candy melts to be easier to work with).
Step 2: One at a time, drizzle candy melts over the top of the chocolate.
Step 3: Top with Valentine themed sprinkles.
Step 4: Chill chocolate hearts for one hour, then remove from the silicone cups. Store in an airtight container.
These were so much fun to make and they couldn’t have turned out any cuter!
These homemade chocolate hearts are perfect for Valentine’s Day parties. You can even make the hearts ahead of time and let kids decorate them for a class party.
They also make a sweet gift for someone special!
Caramel – Swirl caramel syrup through the chocolate before adding the toppings
Peanut butter – Spoon half the chocolate into the molds, then tap on the counter to spread it out and cover the bottoms. Refrigerate for half an hour, then add a thin layer of peanut butter, being sure to leave room around the edges. Pour the second layer of chocolate over the top and decorate.
Nuts – Stir pieces of peanuts, almonds or other nuts into the melted chocolate or sprinkle over the top.
Varying Colors – I’ve made these with pink chocolate too (using candy melts) and the pink candy hearts turned out super cute.
How To Make Chocolate Hearts
- Place dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Continue to melt in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted and smooth.1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Place silicone cups on a cutting board or cookie sheet and spoon the melted chocolate into them.
- Gently tap the cookie sheet or cutting board on the counter until the chocolate spreads out evenly in the cups (you can also tap each individual cup instead…it just takes a little longer).
- One at a time, melt candy melts in the microwave, stirring every 15 seconds until completely melted. Pour each color into a piping bag or plastic sandwich bag and snip a small piece off one of the bottom corners. Don’t make the hole too big though. You don’t want too much to come out at once.1/8 cup red candy melts, 1/8 cup pink candy melts, 1/8 cup white candy melts
- Drizzle candy melts one color at a time over the top of the chocolate.
- Top with Valentine themed sprinkles.2 tbsp Valentine’s Day sprinkles
- Refrigerate for one hour and remove candy hearts from the molds.
- We used melted chocolate chips for this recipe but you can use chocolate bark too.
- If you don’t have candy melts, you can melt white chocolate and color it with food coloring.
- If your candy melts aren’t smooth enough after melting, add a little coconut oil (not too much) until you get the right consistency.
- Feel free to add your own fun variation! For example, you can add candy pieces, nuts or even swirl caramel through the chocolate before adding the toppings. You can also change up what types of chocolate you use.
What are your favorite go-to Valentine treats?
Head to my Valentine’s Day page for more Valentine fun!
If you liked these homemade chocolate hearts, you may want to check out these treats too…