This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Oreo Rice Krispie Treats are a chocolatey gooey no bake treat that combines two of your favorite desserts in one, for a fun twist on a classic snack! With only 4 simple ingredients, they’re quick and easy to prepare and are a snack everyone will go crazy for!
I just can’t keep enough Rice Krispie Treats on hand in my house. The kids absolutely love them, and they’re wonderful for just about any occasion. From Red Velvet Rice Krispie Treats to these cute Rainbow Rice Krispie Treats, we always have a great time making, and eating, them!
But when I made the most delicious Oreo Cupcakes recently, it dawned on me…what about gooey marshmallow treats studded with crushed Oreos! In about ten minutes I had a batch whipped up and let me tell you, that whole pan was gone in a flash! They are just that AH-mazing!
💖Why We Love This Recipe
- With only 4 simple ingredients, it’s a quick and easy no bake recipe.
- Takes classic rice krispie treats to the next level with yummy Oreo cookies.
- They make a great snack on the go, after school treat or last-minute dessert.
- 9×13 prepared pan
- Large pot
- Measuring cup
- Rolling pin or kitchen mallet
- Rubber spatula or wooden spoon
🛒 What’s Needed for Oreo Rice Krispies Treats
- Salted butter-if you use unsalted butter, add just a small pinch of salt to cut the sweetness
- Mini marshmallows – melted marshmallows hold it all together
- Rice krispies cereal-we use the name brand kind, but you can use any rice cereal brand you prefer
- Oreo cookies-I used a combination of crushed Oreo cookies and some I broke into small pieces
How to Make Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
Step 1. Crush Oreos using a rolling pin or kitchen mallet. You’re not looking for a fine crumb, just roughly crushed crumbles, leaving some in small chunks.
Step 2. Heat butter over medium heat in a large saucepan or heavy bottom dutch oven until melted.
Step 3. When the butter is melted, add the miniature marshmallows and stir until melted.
Step 4. Remove the pan from heat and add the cereal and Oreo crumbs to the melted marshmallows. Stir until well with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until mixed.
Step 5. Transfer the cookie and gooey marshmallows mixture in an even layer to a 9×13 inch pan that you have sprayed with cooking spray or greased with butter.
Step 6. Allow the Oreo rice krispies mixture to cool on the counter for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.
Store leftovers in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap at room temperature for up for a week.
Do Rice Krispie Treats Need to be Refrigerated?
I don’t recommend storing these in the fridge. Part of what makes them so yummy is that gloriously gooey marshmallow pull. When you keep them in the fridge, marshmallows firm up and they won’t be as gooey.
Can I Freeze Oreo Krispie Treats?
Rice crispy treats freeze well for up to several weeks but for best results, they are better when made fresh.
But, if you happen to have leftovers that you need to freeze, wrap the individual treats in parchment paper and place them an in an air-tight containers. To thaw, just sit them out at room temperature for about 20 minutes before you’re ready to serve them.
Why Are My Homemade Rice Krispie Treats too Hard?
If your rice cereal treats are too hard, its usually because you pressed them too firmly into the pan. Also, make sure you’re melting the marshmallows over medium-low to low heat. Don’t be tempted to rush it up by heating them on higher temps because it can begin to cook the marshmallows which can make them harden.
Oreo Rice Krispy Treats Variations and Add-ins
Rice Krispie Cereal: We used regular rice krispies like you use in the classic treat recipe. But you can add even more chocolatey flavor buy using cocoa krispies, for a fun variation.
Cookies: Regular Oreos give you that yummy cookies and cream flavor. But if you love to experiment with different flavors, Golden Oreos or Peanut Butter Oreos are other great options.
Candy: Let the kids use their imagination by adding their favorite chocolate candies or even extra marshmallows. Add in a handful of Chocolate M&Ms or Crispy M&Ms for an extra fun twist.
Toppings: These treats are perfect the way they are, but if you want to add a special touch, melt some white chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips and drizzle the melted chocolate over the tops of the treats.
Want More Delicious Oreo Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Oreo Brownies Bars
- White Chocolate Covered Oreos
- Oreo Cheesecake Bars
- Easy Oreo Fluff
- Oreo Milkshake
- Easy Oreo Poke Cake
Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
- Crush Oreos using a rolling pin or kitchen mallet. You’re not looking for a fine crumb, just roughly crushed crumbles, leaving some in small chunks.30 Oreo cookies
- Heat butter over medium heat in a large saucepan or heavy bottom dutch oven until melted.1/2 cup butter
- When the butter is melted, add the miniature marshmallows and stir until melted.10 ounces mini marshmallows
- Remove the pan from heat and add the cereal and Oreo crumbs to the melted marshmallows. Stir until well with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until mixed.10 cups Rice Krispie cereal, 30 Oreo cookies
- Transfer the cookie and gooey marshmallows mixture in an even layer to a 9×13 inch pan that you have sprayed with cooking spray or greased with butter.
- Allow the Oreo rice krispies mixture to cool on the counter for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
- When pressing the mixture into the pan, don't push too firmly. This may cause them to be too hard.
- To keep these treats soft and gooey, store them at room temperature. Storing them in the fridge will cause them to harden.