This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These DIY Harry Potter flying keys are a fun, easy, and budget-friendly craft that the whole family will love. They’re the perfect way to create some wizard themed fun for a Harry Potter party.
If you’ve got big Potter fans in your family, you’ll love this Harry Potter flying keys craft. This easy activity starts with laser cut wooden keys from the Dollar Store that you can turn into the magical flying keys from the books and movies.
Quick and easy to make, this craft is great for kids of all ages. It’s a perfect activity for a Harry Potter birthday party or fun for decorating a Harry Potter themed child’s bedroom. If you want even more crafting ideas and decor, check out this Cornish Pixie Jar or these DIY Harry Potter Bookmarks.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Craft
- Quick and Easy – You can make these quick and easy Harry Potter Flying Keys in about 15 minutes with just a handful of supplies.
- Great for Harry Potter fans – These magical winged keys would be ideal for a Harry Potter birthday party. Or make them with the kiddos to celebrate when they finish their first Harry Potter book.
- Budget Friendly – You can find the keys and most of the other supplies at the Dollar store, so this is a great way to have a fun family activity without spending a lot of money. We found ours in a package of six in the craft section of the store.
- Laser Cut Wooden Keys – Dollar Store
- Acrylic Paint – Metallic Gold
- Vellum Paper Sheet – Craft Store
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks – Dollar Store
- Paintbrush, Small Flat
- FLYING KEYS WINGS PATTERN PRINTABLE (print and download)
Tip: Want to make these DIY flying keys even easier? If you’re making them more for a decoration than a craft activity, you can skip the printable wings and order premade wings from Amazon instead.
What Can I Do With These Flying Keys
Of course, you can always make these Harry Potter winged keys just for fun but if you want to use them for something specific, here are some ideas…
- Hang several sets of keys from the ceiling as decorations for a party
- Make a mobile for a wizard themed nursery
- Attach them to the wall as decor for a Hogwarts bedroom for bigger kids
- Add them to your birthday party goodie bags with stickers and other Harry Potter party favors
- Use them as prizes for your Harry Potter bingo or trivia game (links for both below)
- Make a game of it and hide them around the house. Whoever finds the most keys is the winner
More Craft Ideas
Looking for more Harry Potter DIY fun? You’ll love these Magical Harry Potter Crafts for Kids or these awesome Harry Potter Party Ideas. And if you need some Harry Potter themed snacks to go with your activities, we’ve got tons of great ideas for you. Some of our favorites include this Butterbeer Ice Cream, these Owl Cupcakes or this Treacle Tart.
DIY Harry Potter Flying Keys Craft
- Gather all supplies and remove the packaging.
- Apply a topcoat of metallic gold acrylic craft paint to the laser cut wooden keys. Brush in a random fashion, allowing some of the wooden base to show through in certain areas. Allow the paint to dry completely.Laser Cut Wooden Keys – Dollar Store, Acrylic Craft Paint – Metallic Gold
- Download the FLYING KEYS WINGS PATTERN and print it onto vellum paper with black ink. Use scissors to carefully cut the wing patterns out of the vellum paper. NOTE: Vellum paper is transparent like tracing paper, but heavier like cardstock. You should be able to find it at most craft stores, or you can use the Amazon link above.Vellum Paper – Craft Store, Wing Pattern For Flying Keys
- Use a glue gun to attach the wings to the gold painted keys just under the handle of the key. You could also use liquid craft glue for this project, but you'll have to wait for it to dry.
- Mix and match the wing and key patterns for even more variety. Let glue dry and you're ready to decorate!
Now just tie some fishing string to the top and starting hanging them around the house. They’ll take your Harry Potter inspired party or Halloween party to a whole new level.
More Easy Harry Potter Crafts And Printables
If you loved this fun craft tutorial, you may want to check these out too!