This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This delicious Alcoholic Butterbeer Recipe is an enchanting cocktail that will transform your next Halloween gathering or Harry Potter-themed party into something a little more magical. Grown-up wizards and muggles alike will fall in love with this slightly sweet, boozy beverage made with just 5 simple ingredients.
Boozy Homemade Butterbeer
If you’ve read the Harry Potter books or watched any of the Harry Potter movies, then you know that Butterbeer is a popular concoction that Harry and his friends drink when visiting the Three Broomsticks Inn in Hogsmeade. Kids all over enjoy nonalcoholic copycat versions of butterbeer as a sweet treat to cool off on a hot summer day.
However, this delicious recipe is dedicated to all the adult Potter fans. Our alcoholic version has rich and creamy flavors of vanilla and butterscotch with the perfect amount of boozy kick.
The Harry Potter movies and book series are full of fun magical tricks and spells, but they’ve also inspired wizarding recipes such as the Original Butterbeer, Butterbeer Cookies, Pumpkin Juice, and these yummy Pumpkin Pasties. But if you’re looking for the perfect cocktail for your next party, this butterbeer cocktail recipe is guaranteed to bring out the kid in everyone!
💖 Why We Love This Recipe
- Ideal cocktail for Halloween or Harry Potter-themed parties
- It’s a popular wizarding beverage that can double as a dessert and an adult cocktail.
- All you have to do to make these Harry Potter drinks is pour and stir-no magic tricks required.
🛒 What’s Needed to Make this Boozy Butterbeer Recipe
- Regular cream soda– we used regular cream soda but if you can use diet cream soda if you want to cut back on the sugar.
- Vanilla vodka– the vanilla flavor pairs perfectly with the sweet notes of caramel in the butterscotch liqueur.
- Butterscotch schnapps- a smooth and rich butterscotch liqueur with subtle flavors of butter and brown sugar.
- Whipped cream-we used canned whipped cream, but you can make the real deal with heavy cream.
- Butterscotch syrup -you can buy this ready made in grocery stores or you can use your own butterscotch sauce.
How to Make this Adult Butterbeer Cocktail
Step 1. First thing, pour cream soda into glass mug or tall drinking glass.
Step 2. Next add the vanilla vodka.
Step 3. Then pour in the butterscotch schnapps and give it a good stir.
Step 4. Add whipped topping and a generous drizzle of butterscotch syrup.
How to Make Your Own Butterscotch Whipped Topping
You can use whip cream in the can, but for an extra flavorful option, you can make a homemade version of whipped topping with a sweet butterscotch twist.
Just make traditional whipped cream by using an electric mixer to whip up some heavy whipping cream, a little powdered sugar and a tablespoon or two of butterscotch topping. This makes a great topping for the frozen version also.
Boozy Harry Potter Butterbeer Variations and Add-ins
- Buttery flavor: One of the things that makes such a popular drink is the buttery flavor. For even more flavor you can add a little bit of butter extract to the whipped topping.
- Cream Soda: Swap out the cream soda with sparkling apple cider. The flavor combination is absolutely delicious!
- Alcoholic Frozen Butterbeer: Pour cream soda into ice cube trays and freeze solid. Then just add the cream soda ice cubes, with the schnapps and vodka, to a blender and blend it until nice and slushy.
- Alcohol: The measurements in the recipe card are suggestions. If you like more vanilla flavor, you can add more vanilla vodka and the same thing for butterscotch flavors. Add more cream soda (or less alcohol) if you’d like your cocktail a little weaker.
What is Butterbeer Made Of?
There was never an actual recipe given, but in the Harry Potter series butterbeer was served hot in mugs or cold in bottles and supposedly had just enough alcohol to make the house elves tipsy.
Unfortunately, we can’t transport ourselves to the real Harry Potter World, so we’ve created a nonalcoholic homemade Butterbeer recipe using just three ingredients, cream soda, butterscotch syrup, sweet, whipped cream. After the first sip, I think you’d agree that Harry and his friends would approve!
What Does Butterbeer Taste Like?
If you’ve never had butterbeer at Universal Studios Orlando, you’re probably wondering what all the butterbeer fuss is about! We are all huge Harry Potter fans so we couldn’t wait to try it the first time we visited the Wizarding World Of Harry Potter. Sweet, cold and oh-so refreshing, it did not disappoint!
J.K. Rowling describes butterbeer as being a little bit like less-sickly butterscotch with a slight alcoholic content. It is such a tasty drink with the perfect amount of butterscotch flavor but not overly sweet.
While the versions sold throughout the theme park are alcohol-free, kid-friendly drinks, this homemade butter beer recipe has a boozy kick for the adults to enjoy.
How to Make Boozy Butterbeer for a Crowd
If you’re hosting a fall party and looking for alcoholic drinks that can be made in a larger batch, this recipe would be a great idea. Serve it in a glass punch bowl and let everyone serve themselves. Try using these measurements for a 12-servings batch but adjust them to your preference after tasting.
- 2 cups butterscotch schnapps
- 1.5 cups vanilla vodka
- 4 liters cream soda
- 3-4 cups of homemade whipped topping
- 10-12 ounces butterscotch syrup
If you’re looking for more information about all the different forms of Butterbeer offered at Universal Studios, check out this Butterbeer Complete Guide.
Want More Harry Potter Inspired Recipes?
- Butterbeer Jello Shots
- Hot Butterbeer
- Harry Potter Acid Pops
- Butterbeer Ice Cream
- Butterbeer Cupcakes
- Harry Potter Treacle Tart
- Butterbeer Poke Cake
- Chocolate Frogs
Alcoholic Butterbeer Recipe (Harry Potter Inspired)
- 1 Harry Potter glass optional
- 6 ounces cream soda
- 1 ounce vanilla vodka
- 1 ounce butterscotch schnapps
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream for topping
- 1 tablespoon butterscotch syrup for topping
- Pour cream soda into a tall mug6 ounces cream soda
- Add vanilla vodka and butterscotch schnapps, then give it a little stir.1 ounce vanilla vodka, 1 ounce butterscotch schnapps
- Top with whipped cream, then drizzle with butterscotch syrup.2 tablespoons whipped cream, 1 tablespoon butterscotch syrup
- For a more buttery flavor, make your own whipped cream with a little bit of butter extract. You can also whip it with a tablespoon of the butterscotch syrup.
- If you don’t have vanilla vodka, whipped cream vodka makes a tasty replacement. You can also use regular vodka instead.