This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This watermelon mojito recipe puts a fun and refreshing spin on a classic mojito. Fresh, juicy watermelon is a great addition to this popular drink, turning it into the perfect summer cocktail for all your party and poolside plans!
The mojito is a classic favorite cocktail recipe, and it’s easy to see why. The flavors of mint and fresh lime combine with sugar and light rum create a drink that’s perfectly sweet and delicious with a hint of tartness.
Plus, this mojito recipe kicks it up a notch with the addition of fresh watermelon, a classic summer fruit that pairs perfectly with both the lime and the mint flavors in the drink. Once you try this version, you may never go back to the original.
Perfect for an outdoor party, a patio happy hour, and relaxing in the warm sunshine, this delicious drink deserves a top spot on your list of summer cocktails.
Why We Love This Recipe
It’s Refreshing – Watermelon is one of our favorite summer fruits and adds plenty of great flavor to this drink. With the cool mint flavor from the mint leaves and the fizz from the splash of club soda, this is the perfect cocktail to cool off with on a hot summer day.
It’s Easy Yet Impressive – With fresh ingredients and a delicious flavor combination, this drink will impress your guests (they don’t have to know that it’s actually incredibly easy to make).
Use up Extra Watermelon – We can’t think of a better way to use that huge watermelon you bought on sale and can’t finish. It’s a shame to let fresh fruit go to waste and this fresh watermelon mojito is a delicious solution to that problem.
- fresh watermelon chunks – gives the drink its delicious fruit flavor.
- fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish – adds the classic mojito mint flavor.
- granulated sugar (or simple syrup) – adds the sweetness to balance the rum and lime juice.
- juice of 1 lime – pairs with the mint and adds refreshing citrus flavor.
- Ice – to chill your drink.
- white rum – adds all the boozy fun!
- soda water – adds a touch of refreshing fizz.
- lime slices – for garnishing and squeezing extra lime into your drink.
- small watermelon wedges – completes the garnish.
How to Make Watermelon Mojitos
Step 1: Place watermelon in a cocktail shaker cup. You can cut small watermelon cubes or use larger pieces.
Step 2: Add mint and granulated sugar.
Step 3: Add fresh lime juice.
Step 4: Muddle to release the fresh watermelon juice and mint flavor, continuing until the sugar dissolves. (You can also use superfine sugar – it will dissolve more easily.)
Step 5: Add the rum to your watermelon mixture.
Step 6: Add a handful of ice to the shaker, then shake well to combine and chill the drink.
Step 7: Pour into tall glasses (highball glasses or a mason jar work well). Top with a splash of club soda.
Step 8: Garnish with a fresh watermelon slice, a lime wedge, and fresh mint sprigs. You can also add some fun straws.
Tips & Tricks
- Seedless watermelon works best for this recipe. It’ll save you the hassle of removing the seeds later.
- If you don’t have a cocktail muddler, you can use the back of a wooden spoon. However, once you make this drink, you may decide to add a muddler to your set of bar tools since you’ll want to make it again and again. There are lots of inexpensive options on Amazon.
- Try serving this one in a sugar-rimmed glass for an extra special presentation. You can buy cocktail rimming sugar in various flavors or use the regular granulated kind.
We don’t recommend it. The key to this drink is the fresh fruit and mint flavor, so your drinks will taste best if they’re served soon after these ingredients have been muddled. Plus, this drink is so easy you can make it in minutes, so there’s really no need to prepare in advance.
More Fun Summer Cocktails
- Pineapple Margarita
- Caribbean Rum Punch
- Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri
- Coconut Mojito
- Orange Creamsicle Cocktail
- Place the watermelon cubes in a cocktail shaker cup.
- Add the mint and granulated sugar, then pour in the fresh lime juice.
- Muddle to release the fresh watermelon juice and mint flavor and continue until the sugar dissolves. (You can also use superfine sugar – it will dissolve more easily.)
- Add the rum , then a handful of ice and shake well to combine and chill the drink.
- Pour into tall glasses and top with a splash of club soda.
- Garnish with a fresh watermelon slice, a lime wedge, and fresh mint sprigs.
- Seedless watermelon works best for this recipe. It will save you the hassle of removing the seeds later.
- If you don’t have a cocktail muddler, you can use the back of a wooden spoon.
Be sure to check the post for even more tips & tricks
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 592Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 28mgCarbohydrates: 127gFiber: 10gSugar: 97gProtein: 10g