This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This sweet and rich Hot Boozy Butterbeer recipe is a sweet, delicious cocktail that’s guaranteed to be a hit among adult Harry Potter fans! It’s the perfect warm cocktail to enjoy with friends for a Harry Potter themed party or just to cozy up with on movie night.
Hot Boozy Butterbeer Recipe
There have been plenty of recipes inspired by the Harry Potter Series, like Pumpkin Juice, Chocolate Frogs and Pumpkin Pasties to name a few. However, none have been as insanely popular as the Butterbeer recipes!
It’s with good reason too! The sweet butterscotch, vanilla and buttery flavors that make Butterbeer so delicious works perfectly in desserts, beverages and cocktails! We just can’t get enough of it!
This adults-only hot version of butterbeer is a sweet and tasty drink that grown up muggles and wizards alike will rave over. Made with just 4 simple ingredients, plus a whipped cream and caramel topping, this recipe tastes just like the hot butterbeer they serve at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Universal Studios Orlando, but with a boozy twist.
💖 Why We Love This Recipe
- This delicious recipe is a great alternative to spiked hot cocoa for all the adult Harry Potter fans.
- This hot version of regular butterbeer is a tasty cocktail that will warm you up on a cold day.
- This boozy hot butterbeer recipe is the perfect cocktail when you want to bring out the kid in everyone at your next party!
🥄 Recommend Tools
- Medium Saucepan
- Measuring Cups
- Cocktail Jigger
- Glass Mugs (or any heat-proof mugs)
- Cream soda
- Butterscotch schnapps
- Whipped cream vodka
- Heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream for topping
- Butterscotch sauce for topping
📄 How to Make a Hot Butterbeer Cocktail
Step 1. Pour the cream soda into a medium saucepan.
Step 2. Stir in the butterscotch schnapps and whipped cream vodka.
Step 3. Add the heavy cream.
Step 4. Simmer on medium low heat, just until steamy, but don’t boil.
Step 5. Divide the mixture between two mugs, then top with whipped topping and butterscotch sauce.
What Is Harry Potter Butterbeer?
If you’re not familiar with butterbeer, it’s a fictional popular drink in the Harry Potter books, first mentioned in the “Prisoner of Azkaban.” It was served at The Three Broomsticks Inn in Hogsmeade. Harry and other students of Hogwarts often enjoyed cold butterbeer, served in bottles or served warm in foaming tankards.
There are several copycat versions we muggles enjoy making. Most have a cream soda base and use anything from butterscotch syrup, caramel syrup, heavy cream, pure vanilla extract, rum extract, melted butter, butter extract and sometimes even brown sugar. This recipe makes a hot cocktail version using just 4 simple ingredients and some tasty toppings.
What Does Butterbeer Taste Like?
This popular wizarding beverage is described by J.K. Rowling as tasting “a little bit like less-sickly butterscotch.” This hot butter beer recipe makes a grown-up delicious drink with a subtle hint of vanilla vodka and butterscotch schnapps that cuts just a bit of the sweetness.
Tips for Making the Best Butterbeer Recipe (with alcohol)
- Adjust the sweetness: This is a fairly sweet drink. If it’s a little too sweet for your preference, you can add just a teaspoon or two of apple cider vinegar to the warm liquid. The tartness of the vinegar will tone down some of the sweet without changing the overall buttery flavor.
- Don’t boil: Because this drink contains heavy whipping cream, you don’t want to walk away while it’s on the stove. It doesn’t need to boil, so heat it just until nice and warm.
- Make the base in advance: If you’re making a large batch of this adult butterbeer, you can make the base for it the night before. Add the vodka the next day, then heat until warm.
- Cool it Down: Cool the cocktail mixture down with frozen whipped cream (it helps to place it in the freezer for about an hour before adding to your hot drink). This also helps keep the topping from melting too quickly.
Does Butterbeer Contain Alcohol in the Harry Potter Movies?
Though it is believed that original butterbeer in the movies or books contained very little alcohol, the effects of it were felt much more by house elves, probably due to their tiny size. In fact, during Harry’s 4th year at Hogwarts, Winky the house-elf gets pretty tipsy by drowning her sorrows with butterbeer after being fired from her duties with the Crouch family. Poor Winky!
Alcoholic Butterbeer Recipe Variations and Add-ins
- Alcohol: The measurements in the recipe card are suggestions. If you like more vanilla flavor, you can add more vanilla vodka and the same thing for butterscotch flavors. Add more cream soda (or less alcohol) if you’d like your cocktail a little weaker.
- Vodka: We used vanilla vodka and butterscotch schnapps to help give the cocktails extra flavor. If you want to use regular vodka and Irish cream liqueur you can and then maybe add a little bit of vanilla extract, caramel extract or butter extract to boost the flavor.
- Butterscotch syrup: Butterscotch flavor is the key to butterbeer. But if you’re not a huge butterscotch fan, you can make these cocktails with caramel flavor instead. Just substitute caramel sauce for the butterscotch sauce. Irish cream would also work well instead of the schnapps.
- Whipped topping: Store bought whipped topping and Redi-Whip just make life easier. But if you prefer to make your own whipped topping with heavy cream you certainly can. Just be sure to get the whipping cream nice and thick, so it doesn’t immediately dissolve in the warm liquid. You can even use a scoop of vanilla ice cream instead of whipped cream to help cool it down!
- Less sugar: Want to enjoy this cocktail but with less sugar? No worries! You can use diet cream soda, sugar free butterscotch or caramel syrup and reduced fat milk! It will still taste absolutely amazing but with fewer calories.
- Kid-friendly: If you have young ones that love the taste of hot butterbeer, you can make my alcohol-free hot butterbeer recipe. It’s a great alternative to hot chocolate, especially on a cool evening.
More Butterbeer Recipes
- Butterbeer Ice Cream
- Butterbeer Cookies
- Butterbeer Shots
- Butterbeer Cupcakes
- Butterbeer Poke Cake
- Butterbeer Jello Shots
- Frozen Butterbeer
- Cold Butterbeer
- Alcoholic Butterbeer
- Butterbeer Shots
- Hot Butterbeer
Hot Boozy Butterbeer
- Pour the cream soda into a medium saucepan.12 ounces can of cream soda
- Stir in the butterscotch schnapps, whipped cream vodka and heavy cream.4 ounces butterscotch schnapps, 2 ounces whipped cream vodka, 2 ounces heavy cream
- Simmer on medium low heat, just until steamy.
- Divide the mixture between two mugs, then top with whipped topping and butterscotch sauce.Whipped cream for topping, Butterscotch sauce for topping